Total Pageviews

Monday 3 December 2012

Should/ shouldn't - Giving advice


                

                         He shouldn't eat so much!

Should and Shouldn't - Use


  • We use should and shouldn't to give advice or to talk about what we think is right or wrong.
  • You should means something like I think it is a good idea for you to do it.
  • You shouldn't means something like I think it is a bad idea for you to do it.
  • Should is used to express the opinion of a speaker and often follows I thinkor I don't think.

Examples:

You look tired. I think you should take a few days off.

Alice works very long hours. She should talk to her boss.

     - I have an English test tomorrow.
     - I shouldn't worry if I were you. You have worked really hard.

     - I never have enough money.
     - I don't think you should go out so much.




Exercise. Chose should or shouldn't.
  1. You  be so selfish.
  2. I don't think you  smoke so much.
  3. You  exercise more.
  4. I think you  try to speak to her.
  5. You are overweight. You  go on a diet.
  6. Where  we park our car?
  7. You  never speak to your mother like this.
  8. The kids  spend so much time in front of the TV.
  9.  I tell her the truth or should I say nothing?
  10. I think we  reserve our holiday in advance.
Tip! We do not use shouldn't where there isn't any obligation at all.
Instead we use don't have to or don't need to.


Links for further exercises



http://www.englishexercises.org/makeagame/viewgame.asp?id=1734

http://elt.oup.com/student/project3rdedition/level3/unit6/grammar/exercise1;jsessionid=2007B0D255DF045DF802B901DE46A017?cc=pt&selLanguage=pt

lounge.com/student/grammar/2g18-should-shouldnt-exercise.php



No comments :

Post a Comment

comentários