Total Pageviews

Tuesday 30 May 2017

The Reported Speech- Exercises


If we report what another person has said, we usually do not use the speaker’s exact words (direct speech), but reported (indirect) speech. Therefore, you need to learn how to transform direct speech into reported speech. The structure is a little different depending on whether you want to transform a statement, question or request.

These links will help you on the Reported Speech transformations



CHANGES

TenseDirect SpeechReported Speech
present simple“I like ice cream”She said (that) she liked ice cream. (Past Simple)
present continuous“I am living in London”She said she was living in London.  Past Continuous
past simple“I bought a car”She said she had bought a car OR She said she bought a car. (Past Perfect)
past continuous“I was walking along the street”She said she had been walking along the street.(Past Perfect Continuous)
present perfect“I haven't seen Julie”She said she hadn't seen Julie.(Past Perfect)
past perfect*“I had taken English lessons before”She said she had taken English lessons before.
will (Future)“I'll see you later”She said she would see me later.(conditional- Would...)
would*“I would help, but..”She said she would help but...
can“I can speak perfect English”She said she could speak perfect English.( Past-Could)
could*“I could swim when I was four”She said she could swim when she was four.
shall“I shall come later”She said she would come later.
should*“I should call my mother”She said she should call her mother
might*"I might be late"She said she might be late
must"I must study at the weekend"She said she must study at the weekend OR She said she had to study at the weekend
* doesn't change

Links for exercises





No comments :

Post a Comment

comentários